The specifications for the individual pieces are:
- Should measure 6”x10” (you will need to allow an additional ¼“ seam allowance when cutting out your pieces
- Shape – rectanglular, portrait format
- Double-sided – each piece should be backed with fabric. The name, age, position/role (if you wish} should be written on the back
- Must be made from used/reclaimed textiles
- Raw edges need to be finished
- A sentence which sums up your story to be embroidered on the front (full written stories will be showcased in our social media and in a brochure to accompany the exhibition)
The templates should be used as a basic starting point for you to create your own panel as you wish. The fabrics or materials which you use to make your panel must not be new. We encourage you to use what you already have rather than buying anything new.
Sewing Cafe advocates for sustainability and we would like all those taking part to support this ideal. If you need any additional materials, please let us know and we will try and provide from our collection of used fabrics etc.
Thank you in advance for taking part in this project. Please also remember that those wanting to write their story but who don’t wish to make a panel, can do so and be paired up with an embroiderer, either from within your group or through us.